Hall amenities

From study spaces to contents insurance, we have everything you need.

Study spaces

The University has plenty of library and study spaces across campus, as do our halls of residence.

You’ll be able to access computers, books and dedicated study spaces at:

  • The Morley Library at Ashburne Hall.
  • The Meadows at Unsworth Park.
  • The learning commons and computer cluster at Uttley House.
  • The Houldsworth Library at Hulme Hall.
  • Library and study space at Dalton-Ellis Hall.
  • The Percy Worthington Room at Hulme Hall

Cafes, bars & catering in halls

You’ll find a bar at each residential campus (City, Victoria Park and Fallowfield). As well as being conveniently located, they host regular events, have pool tables and serve a range of competitively priced alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

The bars are just for students and are a great place to socialise with your new flatmates without needing to leave your halls.

In our five catered halls Ashburne & Woolton in Fallowfield plus Dalton Ellis, Hulme Hall & St Anselm in Victoria Park our menus look like this.  Those living in catered accommodation have their meals included in their accommodation fees.  Catering is not provided during the Christmas and Easter vacations however to keep things simple the catering cost is spread out over the full duration of the agreement.  If you live in self-catered accommodation and you would like to eat in catered halls then you  can either 'pay as you go' or 'pay termly' or for a 'full year'.  See this document for more detail about prices: Buy into Catering 23-24 prices.  Follow this link to purchase catering packages: Buy in Catering.


All University of Manchester halls are included in a block insurance policy which is provided by Endsleigh.

The basic cover includes:

  • Theft, fire and flood to possessions, including laptops and tablets, when inside accommodation.
  • £5,000 tenants' liability cover for fixtures and fittings.
  • £10,000 total insured limit. Individual item limits do apply.

You can check the details on the Endsleigh Insurance website using our policy number HH1053 and make sure this suits your needs.

TV licence

If you want to watch live television or use an online catch-up service, you'll need to be covered by a TV licence. Communal TVs in halls, such as Unsworth Park, are covered but personal devices aren’t.

However, you're still free to use subscription-based streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney Plus without the need for a TV licence.

For more information visit the TV licencing website.

Internet access

Halls are connected to the University network, HORNET. Once you've completed your University registration online and set up your username and password you will be able to join.

Help is available on the HORNET portal if you have any issues. If you live at Brook Hall, Daisy Bank Hall, Denmark Road, IQ, Park View, Parkway Gate, Rusholme Place, Salford Student Quarter or Weston Hall, separate arrangements are in place, and you'll receive these when you arrive.

In communal areas, you’ll also be able to access the University WiFi. All bedrooms have access to the Ethernet (wired internet connection).

Laundry rooms

There are laundry facilities in each of the halls which are managed by Circuit Laundry except for Weston Hall where they are managed by Miele Laundry (for more information ask at reception). All machines are easy to use and card or app operated, you can top these up online via their website.

Instructions on how to use the machines are in the laundry rooms, however, you’ll need to bring your own washing powder or tablets.