Faith and worship
Manchester is a diverse multicultural community with a vibrant mix of beliefs, faiths and cultures.
Spaces for faith and worship
We recognise the important role that faith and spirituality play in many students’ lives, and at the University, we celebrate a multi-faith community.
On campus, there are two chaplaincy centres, prayer rooms and a host of dedicated religious clubs and societies within our Students’ Union.
We’ve pulled together some of our largest practice groups, where you can find more information and meet others of the same faith.
- The University’s Buddhist Society can help if you would like to know more about the community in Manchester.
- There’s a Manchester Buddhist Centre in the city centre.
- There’s also the Diamond Way Buddhist Group a 30-minute walk from Oxford Road.
- The University’s Christian Union is the largest Christian society and is aimed at introducing people to Christianity.
- The Avila House and Holy Name Church is based on campus and provides a Roman Catholic chaplaincy.
The University’s Hindu society can provide information and help you meet people and find a temple in Manchester.
There are dedicated prayer rooms across the University campus; if you ask at any main building reception, they’ll be able to tell you where the closest one is. The main rooms are:
- south campus, McDougall’s Prayer Hall;
- north campus, Sackville Prayer Hall;
- Ellen Wilkinson Building, 2nd floor (accessible via the main entrance);
- Students’ Union Safe Space Room, 2nd floor, room 5;
- Dental Hospital, 2nd floor (you need an NHS card to use this room);
- Stopford Building, 3rd floor, room 3.400;
- Chaplaincy Quiet Room, 1st floor of St Peter’s Chaplaincy.
The University’s Jewish Society provides information about your spiritual and religious life while at University, including where you can pray, attend services and find a synagogue in Manchester.
The closest Gurdwara to campus is Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurdwara, which is a 15-minute walk from Oxford Road.
The University also has a Sikh Society that can give you information on other temples and answer any questions you have.