Leaving and moving
Find out everything you need to know about leaving hall or moving between rooms/halls and what you need to do.
If you’re thinking of leaving your hall before your agreement ends then fill in our early termination of accommodation licence agreement.
Early termination of accommodation form
Moving rooms or hall
Find out how you can request to move rooms or hall.
Room Transfer Request Form
Once you’re packed and ready to move you’ll need to return your keys. Contact us to find your local drop off point.
Summer vacation accommodation 2023
Only available to students currently living in our halls.
Find out more
Guidance for moving out of halls
We've put together some guidance to help you prepare for moving out of halls, from removal vans to tips for packing.
Transporting your things
Once you’ve planned your living situation for next year and the contracts are signed, make a note of the end date of your current tenancy and the start date of your new one.
If the dates overlap, decide how you’ll transport your belongings between University halls and your new home, such as through a removal company or help from family and friends.
If there is a gap, you’ll need to organise the transport and storage of your belongings while you wait to start your new tenancy. Most storage companies can also pick up and drop off your items at an additional charge.
- Give yourself time to sort through your items and pack – don’t wait until the moving van arrives.
- Clothes are best packed in suitcases or bags.
- Pack valuables and delicate items carefully – place them in the middle of a cardboard box, using scrunched-up paper or towels as cushioning.
- Cardboard boxes can be salvaged from shops or supermarkets, ordered online or provided by moving/storage companies.
- Label your boxes with your contact information and where they belong in your new home, for example, the kitchen.
- If you know who you’re living with, talk to your soon-to-be housemates and check who’s planning to bring appliances and items, any spares can be donated.
When moving out, make sure to donate your unwanted items or food. There are several charities that you can donate to, such as Manchester Central Foodbank, for donations of tins or packets (unopened and non-perishable). These can be given using donation bins located at the following reception areas:
- City campus: Whitworth Park (Grove House) and George Kenyon Hall reception.
- Victoria Park: Hulme Hall reception and Dalton Ellis reception.
- Fallowfield campus: main reception.
The British Heart Foundation accepts donations of clothes, shoes, books, handbags, DVDs, small electrical appliances, furniture, pots, pans, and crockery. The bins in our halls hold these donations.
Use Give It Don’t Bin It for donations of large furniture or pots/pans. Place any clean, unwanted items in the blue containers marked ‘Give It Don’t Bin It’ across campus from the end of May.
Changing your contact information
When you move home, you must update your personal information, such as:
- your registered GP
- banks you hold an account with
- insurance providers
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Driver and Vehicle Licencing Authority
- the electoral roll and local authority
- TV Licencing
- Online accounts, such as Amazon.