Moving out of halls

Find out everything you need to know about moving out of halls and what you need to do.

Returning keys

Once you’re packed and ready to move out of halls, you’ll need to return your keys. There's usually a post box or drop-off point where you can return them; ask your reception for information on how to do this.

Ending your licence agreement early or transferring rooms

If you’re thinking of moving out early, please read our guidelines on how to request to leave your accommodation licence agreement and complete the online early termination form.

The early ending of your contract needs to sit under one of two categories:

  • Category A: Students who – for academic or personal reasons – are withdrawing from their studies and leaving the University.
  • Category B: Students who are leaving halls to move to the private sector or returning home.

If you're looking to transfer rooms or between halls within University accommodation during your time here, please fill out the online room transfer request form

Moving out guidance

We’ve put together some guidance to help you prepare for moving out of halls, from removal vans to tips for packing.

Transporting your things

Once you’ve planned your living situation for next year and the contracts are signed, make a note of the end date of your current tenancy and the start date of your new one.

If the dates overlap, decide how you’ll transport your belongings between University halls and your new home, such as through a removal company or help from family and friends.

If there is a gap, you’ll need to organise the transport and storage of your belongings while you wait to start your new tenancy. Most storage companies can also pick up and drop off your items at an additional charge.

Packing tips

  • Give yourself time to sort through your items and pack – don’t wait until the moving van arrives.
  • Clothes are best packed in suitcases or bags.
  • Pack valuables and delicate items carefully – place them in the middle of a cardboard box, using scrunched-up paper or towels as cushioning.
  • Cardboard boxes can be salvaged from shops or supermarkets, ordered online or provided by moving/storage companies.
  • Label your boxes with your contact information and where it belongs in your new home, for example, the kitchen.
  • If you know who you’re living with, talk to your soon-to-be housemates and check who’s planning to bring appliances and items, any spares can be donated.

Donating items

When moving out, make sure to donate your unwanted items or food; there are several charities that you can donate to, such as:

Manchester Central Foodbank, for donations of tins or packets (unopened and non-perishable). These can be given using donation bins located at the following reception areas:

  • City campus: Whitworth Park (Grove House) and George Kenyon Hall reception.
  • Victoria Park: Hulme Hall reception and Dalton Ellis reception.
  • Fallowfield campus: main reception.

British Heart Foundation accepts donations of clothes, shoes, books, handbags, DVDs, small electrical appliances, furniture, pots, pans and crockery. These can be donated using the British Heart Foundation bins in our halls.

Use Give It Don’t Bin It for donations of large furniture or pots/pans. Place any clean, unwanted items in the blue containers marked ‘Give It Don’t Bin It’ across campus from the end of May.

Changing your contact information

When you move home, you must update your personal information, such as:

  • your registered GP;
  • banks you hold an account with;
  • insurance providers;
  • HM Revenue and Customs;
  • Driver and Vehicle Licencing Authority;
  • the electoral roll and local authority;
  • TV Licencing;
  • Online accounts, such as Amazon.